Southern Italian Pasta Fagioli
Our traditional Italian Pasta Fagioli recipe is a spoonful of yum! Tiny but not teeny ditalini pasta combines with beans (“fagioli”) and a vegetable medley in a light satisfying broth. This soup is the perfect comfort meal. Cozy up and enjoy!
Soothing soup, Southern Italian style! Savory beef bouillon and kidney beans meld with earthy carrots, celery, onions, and tomatoes for a deep bowl of comfort. Garlic abounds in this flavorful dish, with a dash of pepper and basil for a medley of tasty. This traditional Italian Pasta Fagioli Recipe is an evening remembered.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup carrot, finely chopped
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 can (14½ oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup Ronzoni® Ditalini
- 1 can (19 oz) red kidney beans, undrained
- grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In large saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil; add carrot, celery, onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in water, bouillon, tomatoes with juice, basil and pepper; heat to boiling.
- Stir in pasta; reduce heat to medium-high.
- Cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in beans.
- Drizzle each serving with olive oil and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
No Ditalini on-hand? Looking to switch it up? Acini di Pepe, Small Rigatoni, Orzo, Small Shells, and Rings are all suitable and tasty sub-ins for this pasta fagioli recipe.
Put Your Own Spin on It
Switch up your recipe with any of these other Ronzoni pasta shapes.View Products